If you're looking to join a company with a dynamic vision for the future, set your sights on a challenging career with Nikon Metrology. We develop a wide range of measurement systems for dimensional quality control deployed worldwide in automotive, aerospace, and other manufacturing industries. Nikon Metrology has 10 offices and production sites in 8 countries.
To provide mechanical engineering design resource for Nikon Metrology mostly in the form of self-managed projects from conceptualisation to production. These projects can be anything from completely new products to refining existing designs with particular focuses such as cost or reliability. This role also includes the maintenance of associated administration, BOMs, MRP systems and drawing packs for manufacturing. Working with other departments to support their activities as well as suppliers to improve manufacturing strategies.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Designing new products and concepts using Solidworks.
- Maintaining, where necessary, existing design information using legacy CAD software
- Refining existing models in the product range
- Follow company processes and procedures for new product introduction
- Conduct design validation exercises based on product specification to meet quality and cost targets.
- Performing design-to-cost studies and implementing cost-down solutions
- Preparing design documentation for production (component design, technical drawings, assembly instructions and parts lists)
- Creating new items and bills of materials within the MRP system
- Maintaining existing product structures within the MRP system
- Defining new BoM structures for operations use within the MRP system
- Working with suppliers to develop intelligent manufacturing strategies
- Working closely with other departments to provide relevant information as required
- Checking colleague’s technical drawings to insure they comply with company standards
- Contributing to design reviews where required
- Complete work as required by the Design office manager, this may include individual tasks or team based design activities.
- Employ established engineering best practices and work to common standards where applicable.
A mechanical engineering degree with particular emphasis on design plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a design engineer in a relevant hi-tech industry, e.g. special purpose machinery, industrial scientific equipment, X-ray equipment.
- HND or HNC in engineering plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a design engineer in a relevant hi-tech industry, e.g. special purpose machinery, industrial scientific equipment, X-ray equipment.
- Recent experience using Solidworks CAD software in a professional capacity
- Good work knowledge of standard office software, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and outlook.
Solidworks certified professional qualification
- Experience with high precision design
- Ability to work from first principles of mechanical engineering
- Ability to perform ‘hand’ calculations on simplified engineering problems
- General curiosity and the ability to think critically and constructively
Core competencies (all employees)
Be pro-active :
- Broad minded and well informed in order to act quickly and resolutely
- Address problems in a logical and critical way to minimise project risks.
Seek new knowledge :
- Pioneer new potential through self-study and insatiable curiosity
- Look to increase product and industry knowledge at every opportunity
Communicate well :
- Harmonise diverse skills by thinking out of the box and communicating effectively with others
- Tailor communication style with audiences and look to communicate effectively at all levels of the business
Display integrity :
- Work with diligence and sincerity as a responsible individual
- Take responsibility for, and fix mistakes in a timely and productive manor
Embrace diversity :
- Welcome and value different talents, perspectives and diverse cultures
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
This position does not require any special working requirements, however on occasion, working extra hours or off site may be requested.
Why Nikon Metrology?
At Nikon Metrology, our success is achieved by our employees. Clearly defined common goals, objectives, and priorities, create a foundation to work with pride and confidence. Our employees highly value the supportive and collaborative working environment and we share our passion for technology and innovation. The global Nikon talent programme, will support you to fulfil your potential.
To apply for this position, please send a covering letter and your curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org