If you're looking to join a company with a dynamic vision for the future, set your sights on a challenging career with Nikon Metrology. We develop a wide range of measurement systems for dimensional quality control deployed worldwide in automotive, aerospace, and other manufacturing industries. Nikon Metrology has 10 offices and production sites in 8 countries.
The machine shop team leader will be a competent machinist capable of CNC mill operation, manual mill operation and manual turning. They will work on the manufacture of small batches of prototype aluminium and steel parts. Working closely with the R&D team this may include involvement in the development of new products as well as ongoing quality improvement work. In addition to the above the machine shop team leader will be responsible for all day to day aspects of the machine shop’s operation.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
As team leader:
- Management of team members
- Management of work load and scheduling requests
- Responsibility for day to day housekeeping and health and safety
- Oversee ordering of tools and consumables
- Keep inventory of material stock
- Operate Cincinnati Arrow CNC mill and CNC lathes to produce prototype aluminium and steel vacuum components in small batches
- Manual milling and turning to produce prototype parts
- Skilled use of manual tools to finish components as required
- Read and interpret engineering drawings as necessary
- Make custom tooling as required
- Maintain tooling
- Rework of sub-standard production components
- Contribute to problem solving exercises covering mechanical design issues
- Assistance of strategic planning (e.g. schedule machine maintenance, plan workshop improvements)
- Manage ongoing training of staff and keep abreast of best practice (health and safety)
- Experience of work scheduling
- Aptitude and willingness to manage a small team
- Experienced CNC machinist
- Machining methods, tools, feeds, speeds
- Producing jig and fixtures
- Reading engineering drawings
- Mathematics to GCSE (O level) standard
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or SolidWorks an advantage
- Knowledge of CAM software (e.g. Hypermill) an advantage
- Able to use Microsoft office such as email, Word, Excel
- Toolmaking apprenticeship or;
- Advanced apprenticeship in mechanical engineering and manufacturing principles or;
- Similar engineering machinist apprenticeship desirable
- Able to make decisions and work to overcome difficulties in a timely manner.
Seek new knowledge:
- Be prepared to learn new techniques and operate new machinery
- Collaborate closely with R&D and production team members in order to make sure that their requirements are understood and met
- Strive to work in the company’s best interests at all times. Raise any concerns with the management team.
- Be prepared to work with colleagues from various backgrounds (e.g. scientific, management, production technicians).
This position currently has three direct reports
No budget responsibility
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- 39 hour week
- Mon – Thurs 08:00 to 17:00
- Friday 08:00 to 13:00
- ½ hour lunch break each day
- Blue overalls provided and laundered
- Personal Protective Equipment provided: Goggles, ear defenders (where necessary), safety shoes
- Many machines are operated from a standing position
Why Nikon Metrology?
At Nikon Metrology, our success is achieved by our employees. Clearly defined common goals, objectives, and priorities, create a foundation to work with pride and confidence. Our employees highly value the supportive and collaborative working environment and we share our passion for technology and innovation. The global Nikon talent programme, will support you to fulfil your potential.
To apply for this position, please send a covering letter and your curriculum vitae to email@example.com